March 6, 2014

Reading "Too Many Mangos" -- Sharing the Aloha with Kindergarteners in Litchfield, Minnesota


Dear Kindergarteners, 

I had a lot of fun reading Too Many Mangos* to you for World Read Aloud Day! 

Thank you for letting me record and share it.



I have been thinking more about your question about what mangoes taste like, and these are more words I would use to describe the taste of a mango.
The green mangoes are crunchy and slightly sour .
In addition to being juicy and succulent and sweet,  ripe mangoes have the texture of a peach.

Here are some photos about the things we talked about. 

This is what the eight islands of Hawaii look like on the map.

I live close to Kahului on the island of Maui.
Yes, we have coconuts.


Picking coconuts in Hana, Maui.
Yes, it does snow in Hawaii!

It snows on Maui. And on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa on the island of Hawaii too.

Here's a website to find out how many miles there are between Hawaii and Minnesota.

I forgot to mention to you that I visited Minnesota a few years ago to attend a school librarians conference. How could I forget?


I love the trees in Minnesota!

Minnesota has something that Hawaii doesn't -- trees that change color in the fall. Gorgeous!

Thanks again for letting me read to you. And a very special thanks to Mr. Swenson for inviting me and for tweeting a picture of me reading to you.

And I took a screenshot of Mr. Swenson and you in the hangout. :D


Happy reading!

As we say in Hawaiian, A hui hou! (until we meet again)

Mahalo,

Ms. Lindsay from Maui, Hawaii
(◕‿◕)

P. S. I tried the mango from South America and pickled it with shoyu and vinegar, just like Mr. Wong likes it, but with pepper instead of chili pepper water.

Half-ripe mango with shoyu, vinegar, and pepper

It's almost as good as a backyard Maui mango. 


I can hardly wait until summer, when mangoes will be in season. :)


◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊

*Too Many Mangos is written by Tammy Paikai and illustrated by Don Robinson.


["Raising Our Voices" 4th and last Blog Challenge for WRAD14] 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about reading with us!